The Mount Pisgah Baptist Church was organized in the year 1875. Sophia Beall, who was an ancestor of the Neely Family, donated the land the first Mount Pisgah Baptist Church was built on. The church began as a small Brush Arbor made of logs and whatever materials were available. In 1890, other settlers moved to Jacksonville and settled into the area known as New Town, which is five miles from the original location.
In the early years, there were several Ministers who held the position of Pastor. After a vote by the church, it was decided to move to the New Town area, where the present facilities are located on Ray Road. In 1961, Reverend Thomas Johnson (who has since gone on to glory) was chosen as Pastor and served for 37 years. He preached his last sermon on January 10, 1999.
Upon Reverend Johnson retirement, Reverend Robert Lewis was chosen as Interim Pastor and served faithfully until Reverend Craig B Collier, Sr., was elected Pastor on August 18, 2000. Mount Pisgah Baptist Church is a progressive and growing church on the move for God. We want to “Exalt the Savior, Equip the Saints, and Evangelize the Sinner” through our Savior Jesus Christ. We are a God-honoring church that worships the One & True God who co-exists eternally as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (Matt. 28:19). We are a Christ-centered church that proclaims Christ’s deity and His lordship over all (John 1:1,14; Phil. 2:5-11). We are a Bible-teaching church that believes in the divine inspiration and final authority of God’s Word (2 Tim. 3:16-17).